Monday, August 17, 2009

Jewel Lake II



We went on our annual excursion to Jewel Lake last Friday and Saturday. Those who went this year were: Lynda and Jason’s family (Josh and Matt), Di and Sam, Scott and Mary Ann and me. I’d been watching the weather reports and didn’t like the look of it but was talked into going anyway. Big mistake! We spent most of the time in our tents due to the 30% chance of rain that parked over us most of our stay there! 2 out of 3 of the tents proved to be leaky. Scott and Mary Ann’s tent (shared with Di and Sam) was fairly new but they’d failed to read the instructions and hadn’t sealed the seams. Not sure what house Scott grew up in! They had a very wet, miserable time. So the night was spent in card playing and in my case listening to the last 2 episodes of “Everything Creative” on my Ipod. To be totally fair about it, we actually were able to eat dinner and breakfast during the brief times it was dry. We also got in and set up before the storms hit but got in little fishing. We were anxious to get out early in the morning but stuck around due the nice fire I got going. That was another mistake because after getting packed up and starting to head out, we were hit with a snow storm. It even made the nightly news. We almost made the nightly news ourselves due to my arrogance and stupidity! I thought I knew my way out from many years of camping there so failed to follow a compass course even though the landmarks I use for reference weren’t visible. We ended up wandering North of where we should have been and subjected my family to crossing one the many nasty boulder fields in the Uintas. I realized we were lost when things continued to not look right and finally got my compass out. I could have sworn it was reading wrong. It looked like we were going North when I thought we were going East. I asked Jason to get his compass out so I could verify that mine was ok. He couldn’t readily find it and it was snowing so hard he didn’t want to go searching through his pack. About then someone suggested we pray. Sam quickly volunteered. After the prayer I made the decision to head East and trust my compass was right. It wasn’t but a few minutes later I realized the meadow we’d come to was looking mighty familiar. Sure enough it was the meadow on the back side of our favored Jewel Lake camp site, a place I’ve fly fished on the meandering stream that runs through many times. We’d gone in a complete circle and found ourselves back where we started after about an hour of hiking! This time I checked the compass and since the storm was lightening up was able to see land marks and stick close to the mountains to the South. It was nice enough by the time we got back to Ruth Lake that some of us made a few futile casts in an attempt to recoup some of the money spent on fishing licenses. The trail out was full of running water so feet already sodden were made even wetter. …altogether a miserable experience but one that made a lasting impression of the power of prayer. Maybe it won’t be an annual event after all!



8 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

I've been in San Antonio so long I just can't get a grasp on the thought of snow in August. Of the last 48 days 38 of them have had triple digit highs with lows generally in the upper 70's. If not necessarily fun, it most certainly will be a memorable trip.

scott said...

Never again will I vote to got o the Uintas if there is any chance of snow!

Lynda/Mom said...

Wow, what an experience! I once got lost in a snowstorm in Idaho--well, not so much lost, as stuck in the mud in the middle of nowhere and no way to get out except walk for miles and miles. We overnighted in the car, and eventually some of us walked to civilization and were rescued. But in August?? Glad you were all safe.

Dennis Carter said...

I sincerely apologize to everyone for getting us into a potentially dangerous situation. Next time the compass comes out immediately!

MaryAnn said...

You guys will be telling those stories for years - and I'm sure you will continue with your annual campout.

D. said...

I think you mean if there is a chance of rain, Scott, not snow. The snow was a complete surprise. And although, I wouldn't really want to repeat the experience, it wasn't all bad. Come on, playing 4 player scum til midnight and not moving...that spells fun. And how often do you get the chance to use your brother as a pillow and share a sleeping bag with your husband? So much fun!

Janine said...

Nice picture of a misty lake and trees, but who's the old guy in the foreground?

Dennis Carter said...

Hey Janine! Looks like you solved your blogger.com comment problem. About the old guy... some wandering soul we found lost in the wilderness. Thought he looked craggy against the misty background.