Saturday, March 7, 2009


I found out from Dr. Laura that Kohls hired Brittney Spears to represent thier junior girl fashions. I was so disgusted I sent them an email expressing said disgust and promising to no longer shop there. Here's part of their reply back to me:

"Ms. Spears is an international celebrity and pop culture icon who embodies the spirit of the Candies brand and personifies the iconic Candies Girl flirty, self confident and stylish. We respect Ms. Spears right to privacy, and her personal life does not reflect the views of Kohls Department Stores.

It is not our intent to offend our customers, and your feedback will be shared with Kohls Executives for future decisions. We value the opinions of all our customers and appreciate you taking the time to contact us. "

What's wrong with those people? I don't think I need to detail the reasons for being annoyed with this campaign. If you need to get up to speed on the tawdry details of Ms Spears life, you can check out Dr. Laura's blog on her website. Maybe if Kohls gets enough public backlash they'll think twice about using her in the future. Meanwhile, I hope everyone who cares about the corrupting of our youth will express their disgust to Kohls and boycott their stores.

5 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Brittney Spears should definitely not be a role model for anyone. I'll have to check it out and send an e-mail.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Dad, I didn't know this at all. I haven't been in a Kohls since moving here and will boycott the store in the future too. My email is not letting me send out...but if I get the chance I will voice my opinion on the matter also. Thanks for the info.

Austin's Mommy said...

Seriously. Do we really want our girls to be "flirty" in the same regard as Spears? I don't think so. Why is it that so many people can simultaneously protest married couples bearing multiple children and embrace promiscuity and disfunctionality? (I make up words. It's just the kind of person I am.) People are so backwards.

Lynda/Mom said...

I think the Kohls letter is disgusting--there is no excuse for that. But since I am all talk and no walk, I'll hope someone else sends the message. I don't shop at Kohls anyway, so they probably wouldn't miss my patronage. But good for you; I applaud your initiative.

D. said...

Way to go, Daddy-o! I'm glad you expressed your opinion to Kohl's. Since I hardly ever go there, I can easily give them up.